July 16, 2012

MUSE: Silence is a Strong Reply

It makes me sad that some people don't consider themselves to be "creative." I think we all have a need to express ourselves creatively, and the only difference between you and me is how we choose to do it. Writing, photography, art, sculpture - these may be traditional outlets, but they are by no means defining lines. Even silence can be expressive.

As a social experiment, a man reportedly stood stock still at a busy New York intersection for hours - after a few minutes, people started to stare. After a few hours, people got suspicious. After half a day, he was taunted and jeered at, and someone called the police. Hard to believe? Not if you think about it. Imagine someone standing in your yard. Doing nothing. How long would it take for you to react?

We're creative by nature. It's in our genes. Some of us try to make a living out of our creative efforts, others choose to channel their creative energy into decorating, sports, landscaping or gardening, cooking, building things, collecting things...if it relaxes the brain and is enjoyable, it's probably creative energy at play. You don't have to be working on a masterpiece to be creative. Quite the opposite, in fact.

My friend Eva is one of those people who embraces her inner creativity.  After a successful career as an architect, she now enjoys sketching and expressing herself through art. She has taken a writing course, is a wonderful cook, and supports other creative efforts, including the launch of her late husband's novel, Bluebeard's Seventh Door. Here's one of her recent pieces for you to enjoy.


Watercolor by Eva Vecsei, 2012

2 comments:

  1. Love the watercolor, I'm hoping to let out some of my creativity on my vacation.
    P3of5

    ReplyDelete
  2. still looking for my creativity:) YFA

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. With feedback, I hope to make my writing more informative, entertaining, and valuable to my readers.