July 21, 2012

TRIVIA: The Commodity Count

One of the inane oddities of two women living together was how much toilet paper we consumed. Made me scratch my head. So now I'm curious. I bought 64 double rolls when I moved in. Any guesses as to how long it will last?

Believe it or not, I've done research on the subject for my client Cascades Paper. Not all toilet rolls are equal, and the analysis breaks down brands by various factors, including sheet number. There's two-ply versus one-ply, recycled content versus virgin paper, and the "fluffy" factor, which creates more bulk in packaging. For the scientists among you, the brand I bought boasts 280 sheets per roll.  That's a grand total of 17,920 sheets.  Equally fascinating (ha ha) is that someone else was crazy enough to do a usage analysis, which you can read here if you're interested. In one year, he used 49 rolls of a brand with 1,000 sheets per roll (single ply) for a total of 49,000 sheets or roughly 4,083 per month. Based on a sheet-by-sheet comparison, this means I should be through my stash in 4 1/2 months... in mid-November... provided the cats aren't secretly using it as well. 


1 comment:

  1. What a shity report. What alternative do we have to this age old usage of paper, and a terrible wast of our precious forests ?
    I have always thought of myself as a handy guy BUT !!!!!!
    Y F U

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. With feedback, I hope to make my writing more informative, entertaining, and valuable to my readers.