August 23, 2012

MUSE: Practice Makes Perfect

Ballpoint Art by Samuel Silva
PERSISTENCE seems to be parading as a universal theme lately... whether in my own need to push through with my writing, or a friend's lament that "it's taking too long" to learn something new. Yes, it takes persistence, patience and perseverance to be successful in anything worthwhile. That's just a simple truth. It can't be avoided and shouldn't be rushed (although it's hard not to be impatient), because there's learning to be had with each and every step. If we savour the journey, we are richer for it. The journey, they say, is the best part.

My friend Christine, who lives life in a wheelchair, is writing her memoirs. Her handwriting is atrocious because her hands have limited function. It doesn't matter; her enthusiasm is huge. She has no access to the Internet, limited access to a handful of friends, and less support than the average person surrounded by work colleagues, family and acquaintances. It makes her commitment to the cause even more impressive, I think. I'll be sharing some of her stories on my blog soon. You'll love Christine's honest and heartwarming voice.

This morning I came across the story of someone who started fooling around with ballpoint pens in high school. Instead of following a traditional path to becoming an artist, he stuck with his original tools. The results are astonishing. Just another example, I think, of "practice makes perfect." Click here to see more from Samuel Silva.

Are you working on something you're tempted to give up? Are you avoiding beginning something because the end seems too far off? Sometimes, it's true, we need to stop clinging to an idea, throw up our arms and walk away. I had to do that with a business I launched and couldn't sustain. It was heartbreaking. But if you truly enjoy something, really believe in it, and are passionate about "just doing it", there's joy in giving in and just letting it happen. When you let it happen many, many times, it becomes a series of small achievements. Success is always best seen in a rear-view mirror.


1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to hearing some of Christine's stories.
    The ball point pen artist is fabulous! I would swear it is a photograph.
    P3of5

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. With feedback, I hope to make my writing more informative, entertaining, and valuable to my readers.