November 29, 2012

CULTURE: Around the World in 90 Minutes

Here's a feel-good movie that will make you sit up and smile. Life in a Day is one of the best documentaries I have ever seen - a true collaborative effort from all over the world. In a nutshell, renowned producer Ridley Scott and director Kevin Macdonald combed through 80,000 YouTube submissions from over 190 countries to distill a video snapshot of life on Earth, July 24, 2010. 

I felt I was on a dizzying, madcap tour of the world -- from the sleepy fishing family untangling their nets before dawn to the precious babies being tucked in at night -- and every possible moment in between. I was keenly aware that these videos were authentic offerings from people filming their own lives, all too eager to share. What a world. 

Jump-out moments include a sky diver, a lone biker on the move for over nine years, a teenager shaving for the first time (so cute!), a Love Parade that went horribly wrong, a girl who sits at the end of the day, heartbroken because nothing "special" happened that day (while an incredible lightning storm lights up the sky behind her), an older couple renewing their vows, a young man calling his grandmother to tell her he's gay... great slices of life. But the documentary works best at giving us ordinary moments - just like any day - of all races and cultures getting up, working, eating, loving, celebrating, crying, being born, dying, sharing and suffering.

I laughed, I cried, I rejoiced at our obvious need to be connected. The musical soundtrack is expertly done, the editing flawless. You can watch the entire feast for free at the link posted above, or on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments. With feedback, I hope to make my writing more informative, entertaining, and valuable to my readers.