November 3, 2012

MUSE: Doggy Love

There's a connection between people and pets that is undeniable, as any pet-person will tell you. We mostly just inhabit the same space as our pets, provide them food and water and, in the case of a dog, walk them several times a day. They seem happy just to be around us. I often wish we could communicate in a common language, but animals seems very tuned in to our energy. They know when we're sad, angry or happy. Perhaps they could teach us a thing or two about communicating. Certainly they've reminded me, over the years, of how little it takes to be content.

Chelsea, my golden retriever gal, came to visit yesterday. I had fallen into a bit of a November funk, and she was just the antidote I needed. She got me out into the crisp, cool air, where I found myself breathing deep, taking big lungfuls of life. She trotted beside me as we explored the neighbourhood and met other furry friends. She found a big stick and we played tug-of-war for a while in the park, having glorious fun in the wet grass and fallen leaves. Then we went home by the light of the street-lamps, to a hot cup of tea and some quiet time together. She slept at the foot of the bed, and woke me this morning with a nudge from her little nose. It's another day! She reminded me. Time to play!

It's a healing feeling. Unconditional love, silent communion, just being there. On some days, it's exactly what I need.


1 comment:

  1. Aaaaaw! That Golden Gal certainly has magical powers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. With feedback, I hope to make my writing more informative, entertaining, and valuable to my readers.