November 26, 2012

WRITING: Baby Steps

"I write in spurts. I write when I have to because the pressure builds up and I feel enough confidence that something has matured in my head and I can write it down. But once something is really under way, I don’t want to do anything else. I don’t go out, much of the time I forget to eat, I sleep very little. It’s a very undisciplined way of working and makes me not very prolific. But I’m too interested in many other things."
So says writer Susan Sontag, when asked about her creative process. And while I rarely forget to eat, and almost always get a full eight hours of sleep, I recognize her busy brain, the pressure building up and the feeling that you don't want to do anything else. Let it be said! For now, I'm supremely content to do nothing but write every day.

Ladder and photograph by Brooke Schmidt
I had three small items published this November (including this bit of flash fiction by a zany online zine and a combination photo-poem published by a local culture website), if you don't count the newsletter that I write as a service to the Thomas More Institute, and a small article I wrote for the QWF newsletter (page 6). It's true that there's no money in writing, but there is a great deal of satisfaction in seeing your efforts come to fruition, in whatever form. Baby steps...

1 comment:

  1. OK, so maybe there ain't no money to be got in writing.
    But to quote George Mallory,we write 'because it's there'.
    Or something like that or in that general direction
    of the prevailing drift.

    A for Amonynous

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. With feedback, I hope to make my writing more informative, entertaining, and valuable to my readers.