May 2, 2013

NEWS: Bite Me!

My love affair with food is not going well. First, I lost my joy of cooking (not the book, the passion). Then I  moved into a neighbourhood that would send any self-respecting foodie screaming and running towards the nearest open-air market. I've thrown more food in the garbage in the last year than in the last ten years. It's true that I'm being frugal, but it seems that food on sale here should be labelled "best before you get home."

But that's not the only problem. I've started thinking about what I eat. And why. And how. And now the universe is strewing messages onto my path. For example, I just got back from walking the dog. Met a guy in the park also walking his dog. Got talking, as dog people do. Found out (among other things) that he has not eaten meat in 10 years. Why? Because he's heard horror stories about how animals are treated when they're being slaughtered for our consumption. Like being skinned alive. Tortured with - shall I go on? 

Yesterday my cousin shared a post about a poor cow with broken legs and a broken pelvis who was abandoned in the middle of a slaughterhouse pen. She was bleating, terrified, and in a great deal of pain. Yet the men who saw this ignored the poor creature and left her there overnight to suffer. I told my mother it made me want to punch them in the face. "Your answer to this is violence?" she said, in her best rhetorical-question tone of voice. "No," I said, "I'm just telling you how it makes me feel." It enrages me. It makes me sick to my stomach. It makes me want to retch. And this is just one cow, one isolated story, one tiny part of the world. How much more is going on without our knowledge?

We all suffer collectively from a form of willed ignorance. We don't want to know all the facts, because we're not sure how to deal with them. We so desperately want to fit in that we cringe when faced with a choice that will alienate us from the masses. I understand it, but I can't ignore it any more. I gave up beef a year ago, and now I will step away from all meat. I will do it in honour of that poor cow. The truth is, we don't need meat to survive. But you knew that, didn't you?

1 comment:

  1. Good post - and I will try to do the same.....that story of the cow made me sick to my stomach as well and i'm sure a lot of animals are being tortured, beaten, etc...how can anyone do this to an animal, anything living for that matter....let's do it to them and see how they react....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. With feedback, I hope to make my writing more informative, entertaining, and valuable to my readers.