September 12, 2013

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Bank...

Not long ago, I was intent on becoming rich or famous or both. I was working 12-hour days and rushing through each one as if some nasty creature was nipping at my heels. I remember the adrenalin high quite clearly, and the physical rush from stress. Pounding heart, reactive manner, rushing headlong into every challenge and celebrating every "win". At my financial peak, I was earning over $300,000 a year in hourly fees.

Today I sit in quiet contemplation of that past. Today I am content to be with my thoughts and emotions and do nothing. I sit and stare out the window, watching the leaves grow on the trees and bushes. The cats curl up next to me, no longer fearful that I will jump up and push them off. My cellphone rings and I let it ring. The doorbell never rings, because I have no doorbell. Life is quiet, with classical music playing quietly in the background all day.

Change is a constant in life. The only question we need to ask ourselves is - what do I want to change? And then make it happen. It may seem daunting, but when you do it one step at a time, you feel more as if you are evolving and growing. It's a beautiful thing, our ability to change. I'm still keenly aware that I can do anything I choose to do - but now my challenge is to find the middle way, and avoid the highs and lows of the roller-coaster I was on. It was a fun ride, but cheap thrills are no substitute for quiet joy.




1 comment:

  1. Lovely post, Lorrie. It takes courage to make such a huge decision and the adjustment to a whole new rhythm. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. With feedback, I hope to make my writing more informative, entertaining, and valuable to my readers.